18 April 2009

My Favorite Quilt- Quilt Festival

I would never imagined ever being apart of a quilt festival,
but Amy over at Park City Girl made it possible.
(Thanks!) She is hosting a Bloggers Quilt Festival.
It's a great place for inspiration.
I feel so privileged to be able to participate in something so fun!
Thanks for stopping by!

wow, What a Journey... I am REALLY new to quilting, I always wanted to make some quilts, but the timing was never right. I just had my first baby this fall, and now I have a little bit more time on my hands. I think I started about a month ago...I learn soo much with every stitch. Not too long ago, I found all the quilters in blog land. And immediately there were tons of quilts that I wanted to make. I knew I had to start out with something simple, and build my way up to more complexd patterns. I got my inspiration from this pattern from Kelly Mccaleb. I instantly feel in love with the vintage look of her quilts. I wanted to make one just like it. Off I was to the local Joanne's, to find some vintage looking fabric. (thats the only place I really knew of to buy fabric at the time, didnt even think I could buy fabric online!) The experience of matching fabrics together took about 2.5 hours!! Way to long for me. (the end result was worth it though.) It seemed like Joannes only had flower prints or fig leaf prints. Nothing that seemed really boyish to me. So I went with a "babyish" theme, and found my fabrics in the baby section.
Remember I wanted to make a 'vintage' looking quilt. Well, plans changed.

The sewing process came together really easy. Once I was done, I debated weather to sew X's, or send it out to get machine quilted. Neither one of them really worked out. I searched online for a few weeks, trying to get the courage to machine quilt it myself. I purchased a free motion foot, so I could machine quilt it, and with all the different tutorials out there, I took the plunge. Thanks to these two amazing tutorials, they were my ready references. There are a lot of them out there, so far these two are some of my favorites. And here are the results;
Before Washing;
After Washing;

This is my favorite quilt this far, because It is my first quilt (working on my second), I love the simplicity, I love the colors, and chenille squares. I think each quilt I make will become my new favorite. It is so exciting and fun to find so many other quilters out there in blog land. There is so much inspiration! Thanks.

I was sooo excited to finish this next quilt, and had to share it as well, because I think it became my new favorite. (can that even be possible?) the pattern is from Moda Bake Shop. I doubled the "recipe", to make it bigger. And I loove it. I hope you do too.

Just need to bind it.

23 comments:

  1. it's a beautiful first quilt! i'm very impressed!!! i wasn't brave enough to quilt my first 10 or more quilts...they were all tied. the colors one this quilt are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the colors and you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is such a lovely quilt!! you did a wonderful job on your first!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful Beautiful Quilt with such bright beautiful colors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great quilt. I really like the color combination.

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful work! I love the colors too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your first quilt is gorgeous. The quilting is amazing! You are courageous to quilt it on the machine!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the quilt! You did a great job. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the colors in your quilt! It is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very pretty! I think you will be hooked on this quilting too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think it looks great, first quilt or not. I like the simplicity of the pattern, and the color scheme is great. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a happy sunshine quilt. I love it. You are a really good quilter, natural born, must be genetic, does your Mom sew?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your quilt. The colors are bright and make me happy. I also love that you showed how wonderfully crinkly the quilt was after washing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Both quilts are lovely but I especially like the pinwheels so bright, lively and cheerful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Both are lovely quilts! Great first and second quilts: Really!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very inspiring! You give me some hope. One day I hope my first quilt is as good looking as this!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your first quilt! the colors and simplicity are great. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful quilts.
    I just love the little triangular tags on the border of the second one. Such a gorgeous touch.
    Andi :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like both quilts. think my fav is the second one. nice job on the first attempt. I'm trying to find a pix in my mind of my first and wondering if I would post a pix? guess i would now that I think of it. but I wasn't brave enuf to quilt my own.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your have such enthusiasm, and a good eye for color and design. You're gonna be a great quilter.

    Welcome to the quilt world....*S*

    ReplyDelete
  21. Absolutely beautiful quilt. You did a fantastic job with color, style and creativity. Wonderful job!

    Thank you for sharing.

    SewCalGal
    www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, that is simply wonderful for your first and second quilts! You did a great job with fabric selection (my first quilt was horrible because I had no clue what I was doing) and I haven't had the guts to try machine quilting. Thanks for sharing your experience and tutorials. Good job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. your quilts are so wonderful!!! you do such beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete