29 October 2010

Bloggers Quilt Festival

I love to participate in the Bloggers Quilt Festival. Such a cool idea, and great opportunity to share, and to be inspired by others. This time around, I am going to pick one of my favorite quilts, for the story behind the quilt. (seems like all the quilts I make, become a favorite)
Right before I was going to get married, my mom and I visited the lqs. We were looking for fabrics to make me a quilt; a wedding quilt/present. We had help from the store manager picking out coordinating fabrics. This was before I knew anything about quilting. I was marrying someone who was in the service, so I thought it would be kinda fun to have a star/patriotic quilt. Before a wedding, is a busy busy time. This start quilt never got made. Fast forward 4 years later. I now know some things about quilting, and had made a few quilts. I was at my moms for the summer, and I found the stash of fabric that we bought for this quilt. I enlisted her help to finish the star quilt. It was going to be really big, so we decided to pick out a few more colors, and make two quilts. One for her, and one for me. We got the tops all made. I finished her quilt just in time for a quilt contest, over at piece n quilt, and I finished my quilt about a year later. On my quilt, I tried to do a smaller stippling then usual for me. And I did a fun zigzag around the blue border, to coordinate with the star points. This quilt is a big one. It quilted up pretty fast for me. And I love it.

Here are some more pictures of the quilt.
I put a maroon gingham on the back.
Here is the quilt again, and my moms on the right.
She got all the scraps for her border, isn't it fun?


17 comments:

  1. Wow! Love both the quilts you made. The one for you and your Mom! Thanks for sharing them with us!!! Gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun to see the two side by side. Amazing how the different borders give them a different feel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Job on both quilts, Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the scrappy border, and what a neat story behind it, and hooraay for finishing! I have two quilts I am still in the process of, going on a year now!! LOL, and I think mom has one she started (nine patch) around the time I got married, 10 years ago, not finished yet.... did you find that one?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The scrappy border really changes the quilt but they both look equally great! I love the zig zag quilting in the border. Congrats on the 2 for 1 project. Thanks for sharing your quilt's story :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love both the quilts. They are very patriotic and look "comfortable" at the same time. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting to see how using the same fabrics and pattern can result in two very different looking quilts. Both look great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love them both! The scrappy border on your mom's really does me in though. I am a sucker for a good, scrappy quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very pretty! I like both of them very much!!

    Angie - www.craftedAngles.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are great! I've been wanting to do something along those lines for my brother, a 20+ year military vet but I didn't quite know how to make it look. Thanks for showing me how pretty and easy it can be. I'm going to hit my stash of red, white and blue fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really love the way both quilts have turned out. It shows how you can both start from the same point but end up with something so different.
    Beautiful quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is beautiful and thank you for taking your time to help me. im so glad you are here

    ReplyDelete
  13. love both quilts. stars are always so great and you've done a nice job. thanks for sharing and have a great day

    ReplyDelete